Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
Monday, January 16, 2017
original breather box modified aeroquip fuel filter casing
breather elbow from Burton
The engine recently started to spill some oil out of the dipstick and the crank case breather box. A known issue with tuned engines running high rpm and big oil pumps and high oil pressure. The internet is full of modifications to remedy this problem. Burton is a supplier for Kent xflow engine aftermarket parts and has some usefull information on their internet site. Since I haven't anything else to order, I was looking for some other solution than the elbow they suggest to use instead of the crank case breather box. By chance, I had a fuel filter lying around with almost the same diameter than the original nozzle going into the engine. After some modification on the lathe, I fabricated my own adapter to which I now can connect an aeroquip aluminium connector and matching oil conduct.
Monday, July 11, 2016
This weekend I made a test with a radar warning device named Coyote. It is legal and not only shows fixed and mobile speed controls, but also accidents, traffic jams or obstructions on the road ahead. I positioned it fairly in my field of view and it is quite pleasant to drive this way. My +300km trip through Luxembourg went without any major issue. I let her cool down before I stored her in the garage until the next blat.
Monday, June 13, 2016
Yet another rainy weekend without any possibility to drive. Since I had the digital read outs (DRO) laying around for two weeks, I decided to convert my Proxxon mill. X-axis done.
(Y-axis done soon after, I only added the proof pic)
Monday, May 23, 2016
Monday, February 15, 2016
Monday, August 10, 2015
Friday, July 3, 2015
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
Posted by Jos Kayser at 9:58 AM
Thursday, March 5, 2015
Saturday, February 21, 2015
The pressure plate apparently has been balanced as well since it spots some holes in the cover. It weighs around 3.6kg. I don't know if I will use the clutch disc, I may opt for a new one. The Sierra Type 9 gearbox needs a 1" 23spline pattern and I also have a very old (and very light!) four speed box, with a 7/8" 20spline pattern. That pattern is the right one for the clutch disc included with the Vegantune flywheel and pressure plate.
Some more parts to purchase from now to next winter, and maybe then I will assemble a nice, high revving, well balanced and powerfull X-flow.
Sunday, January 18, 2015
Available at Burton at the time being:
The exhaust valve is 34.9mm compared to 34.0mm actually in my engine.
Available at Burton at the time being:
So really nothing spectacular to report here. At first sight, the remaining flange between the valves looks quite narrow, but it is always best to unmount the parts when measuring. There is still some possible improvement when preparing the cylinder head of the replacement engine.
Thursday, January 1, 2015
Wiki. For my part, I started to clean that beauty the old-fashioned way with brake-cleaner, emery paper and a toothbrush.
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Sunday, November 23, 2014
So here we go for the first parts to come off:
Oilpan (top and bottom)
Unfortunately I only took the metric tools with me and I couldn't get off the head to check the valves. This leaves some excitement for next time ;-)
Sunday, November 16, 2014
Saturday, November 8, 2014
Sunday, November 2, 2014
For some time now I wanted to switch to 13" tires. My favourite rims are the KN Jupiter, quite an old design but looking good. When I bought them, I didn't pay attention to the bolt scheme and couldn't mount them. I keep them stocked, maybe one day they will end as decoration for a new garage...My second choice is the classic Minilite style. A good friend sold me a set with Federal tires and I really like the look it gives to my car.
But it is not all about looks! This car type is all about weight to power ratio. Since I don't have a lot of power, weight savings are very welcome. Here we go, let's talk about figures:
What I had on the car until now at the front 195mm 15" Revolution rim 16.9kg
What I had on the car until now at the rear 225mm 15" Revolution rim 18.0kg
What I have now on the car at the front 175mm 13" Minilite rim 12.2kg
What I have now on the car at the rear 205mm 13" Minilite rim 14.2kg
Ok, the front tires are quite small and I may opt for 185 or 195 when I switch to semi-slicks, but at least I want to drive the car for test with the Federal tires for some time. Net weight savings:
front 4.7kg per side = 9.4kg
rear 3.8kg per side = 7.6kg
for a total of 17kg
Posted by Jos Kayser at 5:24 PM
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Posted by Jos Kayser at 9:01 AM