What you will find here: Intended to display minor modifications to my Westfield SEi, this blog now witnesses the two year rebuild (and more) after a major crash in October 2011. Have fun and feel free to add a comment at the end of any post.
Best viewed with Firefox

Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Running again

With the head back on, I started to set the valves. This means turning the crankshaft until one valve of a cylinder opens completely, then set the one that is supposed to be closed. Here is some data I collected about the values and different procedures. After that, I bolted the injection back on.
Engine temp: cold
GT (standard)
Inlet: 0.28-0.33mm (0.20-0.25mm)
Outlet: 0.53-0.58mm (0.46-0.50mm)

Data from Vulcan Engines for a Kent 290 camshaft
in: 0.36mm
out: 0.46mm

Method “by cylinder”
When one valve is fully open, adjust the clearance on the other.

Method “rule by nine”
if 1 and 6 open – set 8 and 3
if 4 and 2 open – set 5 and 7
if 8 and 3 open – set 1 and 6
if 5 and 7 open – set 4 and 2
Firing order = 1-2-4-3 (1 is opposite from flywheel)
Order of valves from cylinder one (I = inlet; O = outlet):  I-O-O-I-I-O-O-I
As soon as it revved (filling coolant and oil first!), I checked the ignition advance with the strobe light, oil pressure was ok. But I will also check all the other settings before driving it again.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment