What you will find here: Intended to display minor modifications to my Westfield SEi, this blog now witnesses the two year rebuild (and more) after a major crash in October 2011. Have fun and feel free to add a comment at the end of any post.
Best viewed with Firefox

Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bumpsteer - corrected

Not completely set, but very near. I made a mistake while assembling the steering by mounting the track rod ends upside down. This resulted in heavy bumpsteer which made the car almost uncontrollable on bumps and ruts.
The photos show the effect this error has on toe-in/toe-out varying from top to bottom position of the suspension during a full travel.
After I mounted the track rod ends correctly, the change in toe-in/out is not visible anymore.
I tried to film it as well. I think it is clearly visible in comparison:
Film #1 - Bumpsteer
Film #2 - Bumpsteer corrected
In this case the effect is very heavy. Lesser bumpsteer can be set with shims to alter the steering rack's height. After this I re-mounted the shocks with the 275lbs/in springs and set the ride height to 5". Next time I'll try to set camber and toe-in/out.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment