What you will find here: Intended to display minor modifications to my Westfield SEi, this blog now witnesses the two year rebuild (and more) after a major crash in October 2011. Have fun and feel free to add a comment at the end of any post.
Best viewed with Firefox

Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wooden jig

The bet was that if I wanted to mount the Monza fuel filler, I had to change the rear body panel as well. I could leave it where it is, but with two fuel fillers (one functional and one kept in place only to evitate having a hole in the panel), looks would have been spoiled. The aluminium panel (2mm thick) must be bent left and right. To have a chance to realize a somewhat decent bend, I manufactured a wooden jig.
 
The jig was then fixed on top of the panel. This is version one, the radius has been changed since to achieve the right bend ...
... but the principle of work is the same. While reducing the radius more and more and everytime checking the fit on the car, I hope to achieve the best possible fit. This is all new stuff to me and it is a lot of fun to find out how to proceed. If I fail, I can always revert to the original undamaged panel. Of course, I hope that I will be able to finish my very first selfmade body-panel.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment